11.5 min read
Crypto farming vs staking
Discussing highest yield staking crypto platforms, comparing staking crypto to yield farming, warning on risks of staking crypto and DeFi farming
Written byAlex Crypto
August 1, 2023
Cryptocurrency is actively gaining popularity. This is a great investment option. Staking and farming are some of the most popular investment strategies today. Сrypto farming vs staking has several complexities, advantages, and disadvantages. Let's look at yield farming crypto vs staking in this guide.
What does staking crypto mean?
Staking is an alternative to mining. The percentage of income varies depending on the type of coin and the period of its retention. Staking crypto is a kind of passive income through the storage of crypto coins. Users need to select a special Proof of Stake algorithm. The algorithm is reliable protection against any outside interference.
Tokens that can be staked:
- BitDAO (BIT);
- Ethereum 2.0 (ETH);
- USD Coin (USDC);
- Polygon (MATIC);
- Binance coin (BNB).
One of the benefits of staking is that it can fully replace mining. What does staking crypto mean? Users can increase their income level by selling cryptocurrency without using specialized equipment.
To calculate the profitability of high yield crypto staking, you can use special aggregator sites. The actual income of the highest yield staking crypto depends on the dynamics of the value of the selected coin. If the asset depreciates, the investor will have a loss. To understand how stable a coin is, you need to multiply the nominal yield by the change in value.
Difference between APR and APY:
- APR complexity is a simpler metric.
- Calculation of the interest rate.
- APY allows you to compare investments and reinvestment structures more accurately. APR assumes a similar frequency.
- Realistic income indicator. APY can show the most realistic picture of the highest yield crypto staking. APR may underestimate investment returns.
Examples of using APY and APR:
- Lending platforms.
- Term loans.
- Staking rewards.
To determine in which case to use APY or APR, it is necessary to consider the percentage structure.
Staking can be offered as centralized exchanges, crypto wallets, and specialized staking services. They provide all-in-one staking services. Highest yield crypto staking platforms can greatly simplify the process for the user. In this case, a certain percentage of the commission from the received value is charged.
Centralized high yield crypto Staking Exchanges:
- Binance. In order to use Binance for staking, you need to register and buy currency with fiat funds. Next, you will need to buy stable coins on the platform. Stablecoins are an integral part of the cryptocurrency economy.
- Coinbase is a convenient trading platform for buying and selling cryptocurrency. It is one of the most trusted staking platforms with solid asset protection and secure storage.
- KuCoin is an exchange that offers flexible staking. The user receives many useful tools for the possibility of trading.
The task of protocols is in the delegation of funds and the distribution of income.
Risks of staking crypto
The main risks of staking crypto are a fall in the value of an asset, the lower the coin rate – the lower the percentage of income. Users need to choose those coins that offer low volatility. It is best to purchase an asset that will show stable growth. If the level of cryptocurrency volatility is high, this can lead to problems, because in the event of a drawdown, the user will not be able to sell the asset in time.
What does farming crypto mean
Farming is one of the most popular cryptocurrency investment strategies. The user lends his coins and receives a certain percentage for this. A liquidity pool is a repository of cryptocurrencies. A trader can exchange currencies to reduce the risks regarding possible fluctuations in the value of the cryptocurrency. To get into the pool, the user needs to send 2 coins of the same value.
Examples of tokens that can be used for farming:
After the transfer of funds, the user receives a token. It acts as an indicator that suggests what part the coins occupy in the liquidity pool. When other users buy and sell coins in the pool where the coins are, you can get a certain percentage of income.
The profitability of farming is constantly changing. It depends on such factors: the amount of liquidity, exchange rates, assets in the liquidity pool. The main factors that can reduce the profitability of farming are the issuance of tokens and non-permanent losses. Decentralized exchanges inspire maximum trust. To reduce risks, it is worth resorting to diversifying various ecosystems.
Farming income is generated by receiving rewards for providing liquidity to decentralized exchanges, which in turn use an automated market maker mechanism.
Income is based on the following factors:
- Liquidity rewards, which are paid in governance tokens.
- Income from commission for the purchase or sale of assets.
For each pool, the user is allocated a certain number of tokens. This is done in accordance with the need of the exchange for certain assets. Income, in turn, is divided proportionally between each member of the pool.
There are platforms that are great for farming. Their number is gradually growing. They differ in the level of complexity and the number of useful tools.
- Curve Finance is an exchange platform that is designed for stablecoins. Users can perform profitable exchange transactions. The platform rewards regular users with native tokens.
- Compound is the most popular market in 2023. The platform helps to give cryptocurrency at a certain percentage, as well as to take out a loan for assets secured by others. You need an Ethereum wallet to use it. Interest rates are adjusted automatically.
- Pancakeswap is a decentralized portal that uses an automated market maker. Clients can connect to the liquidity pool.
Each platform has several features. Experts recommend studying the rules of each system to determine the most profitable option.
Risks of farming crypto
To create profitable farming, you need to have certain knowledge. Even large protocols can have vulnerabilities. As a rule, they lead to losses. Also, the risks include the fact that all transactions are technically impossible to return. The presence of any errors can lead to disastrous consequences. The user may lose his money. Depending on the state of the market, the percentage of income changes. It is impossible to predict what fluctuations will be in the market.
Difference between yield farming crypto vs staking
Staking is the process of maintaining the blockchain through native coins. Farming is the receipt of income through the exchange in the liquidity pool of the exchange, which is built on the blockchain. In farming, the user needs to deposit cryptocurrency into a certain fund and receive a percentage of all transactions made in the fund. In both cases, yield farming crypto vs staking, the amount of income depends on the size of investments.
What is more profitable?
When comparing staking and farming, it is worth noting that staking is an easier method. It requires minimal effort. You just need to keep the cryptocurrency in your wallet and receive income in the form of a percentage. The income level can be higher in farming in the short term, while staking can achieve higher results in the long term. When choosing a strategy for earning, you need to consider the timing and goals of the investment.
Which of the is riskier
Farming involves more risks since the cryptocurrency market is unstable. Also, users may encounter attempts to hack accounts. Each investor must consider risk tolerance and define their goals. Depending on the goals, it will be possible to choose either staking or farming.
What to choose
The choice of strategy for investment in yield farming crypto vs staking is carried out depending on several factors. It is important for the user to learn to define their goals, as well as to be resistant to risks.
Factors to consider when choosing a strategy:
- Farming involves more risks due to market instability.
- Profitability in farming can be significantly higher than in staking, but only in the short term.
- Staking implies stability, as well as the possibility of earning income in the long term.
- Farming is more difficult.
- Due to the creation of new tokens, farming may be subject to higher inflation.
Before you start investing in crypto farming vs staking, it is worth studying these 2 strategies in as much detail as possible. Only with experience can you determine the most profitable option for yourself.
From the blog
The latest industry news, interviews, technologies, and resources.
Comprehensive Btcman guide to swing trading crypto strategies, bots, taxes, platforms, and indicators for profiting from medium-term price moves.